Commissioners Special Meeting
Chairman Steven E. Joy called the special meeting of the Hancock County Commissioners to order at 9:35 a.m. on Friday, December 28, 2012 in the meeting room of the Hancock County Courthouse located in Ellsworth, Maine with Commissioner Brown in attendance. Commissioner Lawson arrived at 10:05a.m.
Fire Chief Richard Tupper was in attendance to discuss the transfer of the capital funds from the County of Hancock to the HCVFFA. Commissioner Brown was of the opinion that the current capital accounts be treated as they have been until the funds are depleted. The HCVFFA would submit requests for payment. Chief Tupper asked if the funds are actually there and not a fictitious number. CFO Roy stated they are kept in capital reserve accounts and by invoice and commissioner approval can be expended any way they so choose. Chief Tupper also asked if the funds are for the association use and not for general use. Commissioner Brown agreed that they are HCVFFA accounts. Chief Tupperwanted clarification that they are able to maintain control of the funds and that they are used as appropriated or designated. Commissioner Joy stated that the accounts should remain in the custody of the County Commissioner's and the HCVFFA should continue submitting requests of capital fund expenditures until the funds are depleted.
Chief Tupper requested to upgrade the HCVFFA antenna located on the courthouse roof. Commissioner Joy asked to contact Ken Knight and consult with him and advise us on the antennae. The discussion will be continued at the January 8, 2013 commissioners regular meeting.
CFO Roy distributed a sheet showing insurance costs by year. Commissioner Joy asked that the total funds for health care be brought to the January 8, 2013.
GASB 54 states that we must expend our capital accounts before the end of the year. CFO Roy suggested the following capital accounts and funding for FY13:
General Fund proposed surplus:
- $200,001.60 from surplus to a new account titled Community Benefit
- $4,000 from surplus to G1-3011-09
- $400 from surplus to G1-3012-50
- $35,000 from surplus to G1-3012-60
- $5,000 from surplus to G1-3012-10
- $500 from surplus to G1-3012-90
- $750 from surplus to G1-3014-89
- $2,455 from surplus to G1-3015-00
- $435.82 from surplus to G1-3014-90
- $2,993.23 from surplus to G1-3015-10
- $3,659.68 from surplus G1-3015-00
- $100,000 from surplus to G1-3011-00
- Commissioner Lawson suggested looking into making the building an historical landmark and to look into grants to help with funding a new roof.
- Commissioner Lawson suggested placing $50,000 into the Building Reserve increasing it to $150,000
- move $100,000 from surplus to G1-3012-35
- move $20,000 from surplus G1-3011-06
MOTION: move to create a reserve account for professional equipment for the Sheriff. (Lawson/ failed for lack of a 2nd)
MOTION: to move recommended capital transfers in the amount of $525,195.33. (Brown/Joy 3-0, motion passed)
CFO Roy requested moving $42,427.00 from G1-3012-65 RCC Construction to G1-3012-60. Commissioner Joy was not comfortable moving these funds.
Airport Proposed Surplus:
- $100,000 from surplus to G2-3010-30
- $14,000 from surplus to G2-3010-70
- $3,000 from surplus to G2-3010-60
- $847.50 from surplus. to G2-3010-50
- $10,000 from surplus to G2-3010-40
- $10,000 from surplus to G2-3030-20
- $2,000 out from surplus to G2-3010-90
- $749.04 from surplus to G2-3015-10
- $10,000 from surplus to a new account titled Entrance Sign
- $50,000 from surplus to G-3020-20
Commissioner Joy would like to increase the Entrance sign account to $25,000.
MOTION: to move the recommended airport capital transfers in the amount of $215,596.54. (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
The public meeting to discuss Community Benefits funding will be scheduled at the January 8, 2013 commissioners regular meeting.
MOTION: to approve a request to go out to RFP for information technologies services and to notify Sierra Communications that we will go out to bid. (Joy/Brown, 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: to adjourn. (Brown/Joy 3-0, motion passed)