Commissioner Meetings Minutes Archive
Commission Chairman, Percy L. Brown, Jr. called the Special Meeting/Budget Workshop of the Hancock County Commissioners to order at 8:00 a.m. on Friday, September 20, 2013 with Commissioners Blasi and Joy in attendance.
Airport Manager Madeira briefed the commissioners on the upcoming construction of taxiway D and E and taxiway F and requested that the chairman be allowed to sign the grant offer when it is received.
MOTION: to approve the chairman to sign the grant offer to construct Taxiways D and E and to reconstruct Taxiway F. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed),
Airport Manager Madeira stated that this is a safety related project. The FAA will not honor any additional AIP projects until this is completed. The money for this project is discretionary funding and not based on enplanements. This money would be budgeted into the next fiscal budget year as an expenditure using the 5% rule under department 40. These AIP accounts will not be setup until the AIP contract is approved by the FAA and an AIP number is received. The expenses will then be segregated into construction, consulting and state expenses and revenues. The BAC does not review the airport budget as it does not come from taxation. Funding to support the airport comes from the operations of the airport which is the federal share and 5% being the state share. Funds come from the AIP funds.
02-Emergency Management Agency
Proposed Revenue: $88,076
Proposed Expenditures: $176,152
MOTION: to approve 02-Emergency Management Agency revenues in the amount of $62,086.00 (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: to approve 02- Emergency Management Agency expenditures in the amount of $124,171. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- Commissioner Joy recommended removing the deputy manager position and increase part time person to 20 hrs. per week
- 10-110 to $0.00
- 01-300 part time increased to $13,000
- 05-300 Health Insurance decreased to $22,000.00
- Total expenditures $124,171 or 19.41% decrease
07 - Regional Communication Center
Proposed Revenue: $97,167
Proposed Expenditures: $696,660
MOTION: to approve 07-RCC revenues in the amount of $22,167.00 as a tentative number. (Joy/Blasi 2-1, motion passed) Brown opposed.
- Commissioner Joy would like to add $75,000 of the RCC budget to the tax rolls.
- $22,167 revenue would be from ambulance services that are contracted
- Commissioner Blasi asked if the discussion of placing the RCC onto the tax rolls could be transcribed and placed in the books for the BAC.
- The BAC has never passed moving the RCC to the tax rolls.
- This motion includes add the full cost of the RCC to the tax rolls.
MOTION: to tentatively approve 07-RCC expenditures in the amount of $605,649.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- 10-100 Manager decreased to $50,207 to reflect 1.5% increase.
- Total Personnel Services: $479,658
- 10-110 Deputy Manager or part time QA clerk decreased to $12.50/hour or $13,000 as we do not have a pay policy for $15.00/hr. Commissioner Joy would like to call this a specialized position in order to receive $12.50/hr.
- 10-100 Uniforms decreased to $500.00
- 15-100 Telephone decreased to $0
- 30-150 Service Contracts reduced to $40,000
- 70-100 Equipment decreased to $0 as there is a substantial amount in reserves.
- Total expenditures: $605,649 or 1.7% increase
Discussion: Commissioner Blasi again asked that a transcription of the commissioner’s discussion of adding the dispatch services to the tax rolls be attached to the BAC budget books. Commissioner Brown was hesitant to do that. Commissioner Brown explained that the BAC have a chairman and are organized and will address the commissioners when they have a question and to be careful about giving more information than what is asked for. Commissioner Joy stated that the BAC will ask and he has his own opinion. The BAC will come back with their opinion and in order to change the opinion of the BAC the commissioners must vote unanimously, Commissioner Joy stated that Commissioner Blasi must advocate for what he believes in and Commissioner Blasi believes the BAC should have all of the pros and cons in order to make a decision. Commissioner Joy stated that the BAC will be looking at the budget number with the concept being that it will be off of taxation.
10 - Sheriff's Department
Proposed Revenue: $10,500
Proposed Expenditures: $1,095,984
MOTION: to approve 10-Sheriff's Department revenues in the amount of $10,500.00 (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- 101 Insurance Reports: There is now an online database where insurance companies and/or individuals can pay a fee to obtain accident reports. Most insurance companies only request a claim number for insurance purposes.
- 116 Computer Revenue: Net Motion is used in cruiser laptops. The sheriff’s department purchases all licenses for all agencies in Hancock County and then bill out to the agencies.
- 110 Special OT Revenue: The State reimburses $50.00 for officers that need to make court appearances.
MOTION: to tentatively approve 10-Sheriff's Department expenditures in the amount of $1,089,470.00 (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- 01-100 Manager decreased to $62,755
- 01-110Deputy Manager decreased to $62,494
- Personnel Services: $706,594
- 07-600 Training/Registrations reduced to $3,000. One officer needs to be recertified for accident reconstruction. $1,000 is used for online training per year for all officers. $1,000 is left for specialized training.
- 70-200 Technology reduced to $5,000. Deputy Chief Bishop stated that some grants may come available for laptops and they are looking at other alternatives to the Toughbook as they are very expensive. They are working with EMA for possible grants that may be available.
- G-30-14-60 Capital Reserve- has a balance of $1,561.00. Funds from vehicles sold are applied to this account.
- 70-300 Vehicles reduced to $50,000.00
- Total expenditures: $1,089,470.00 or 2.97%
12 - Sheriff's Outside Contracts
Proposed Revenues: $139,391
Proposed Expenditures: $139,391
MOTION: to approve 12-Sheriff's Outside Contract revenues for 2014 in the amount of $173,600.00. (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
- Commissioner Joy is not willing to approve the budget revenues without the Sheriff present as those present cannot explain the changes.
- CFO Roy recommended flat lining it.
- Commissioner Blasi asked when contracts are due. The new contracts begin in January. The budget needs to be finalized by December 15, 2013.
- The sheriff will have to bring the contracts to the commissioners for approval. Commissioner Joy has stated he will not sign the contract proposed.
MOTION: to approve 12-Sheriff's Outside Contract expenditures in the amount of $140,247.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- 70-700 Preservation surcharge will be removed. This was used as an estimate during a previous budget workshop as department 12 had not submitted budget numbers.
- 10-200 Gas decreased to $15,500
- 05-300 Health Insurance increased to $7,044.00. Insurance must be added to the flat lined budget as insurance was not budgeted in 2013.
- Total expenditures: $140,237
46 - Drug Task Force
Proposed Revenues: $132,873
Proposed Expenditures: $219,079
MOTION: to approve 46-Drug Task Force revenues in the amount of $132,873.00 (Joy/Brown 2-0-1, motion passed) Blasi abstained.
- Commissioner Brown expressed his displeasure with the perception of funding work done in Washington County and feels that Washington County should help fund one of the deputies.
- Agent Corey Bagley distributed a detailed report to the commissioner’s explaining the calls that were held in Hancock County and assistance to Washington County and how funds were distributed.
- The state fully pays one agent’s wages and benefits; and the County of Hancock currently funds two positions.
- Commissioner Blasi would like to see the 2013 budgeted numbers that is missing from this department.
MOTION: to approve 46-Drug Task Force expenditures in the amount of $221,469.00. (Joy/Brown 2-0-1, motion passed) Blasi abstained
- MDI Contract was increased to $54,884
- The Sheriff’s office covers the cost of Mt. Desert’s replacement officer who has an officer that works on the DTF.
20 - Health Insurance
Proposed Revenue: $117,661
Proposed Expenditures: $1,047,314
MOTION: to approve 20-Health Insurance, Airplane and UT revenues in the amount of $117,661.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- Commissioner Blasi questioned why UT admin fees and airplane excise tax was in this account. CFO Roy explained that it was set up in this account and must stay in here for historical purposes. Unfortunately, the numbers cannot be moved to another account or we would lose the historical data.
MOTION: to approve 20-Health Insurance expenditures in the amount of $1,047,314.00 (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
- Commissioner Joy asked what the estimated buyout with Meritain. CFO Roy estimated approximately $250,000.00.
- Commissioner Blasi expressed his appreciation for Commissioner Brown 2nd on the motion as he is still trying to understand the account.
19 - Blue Hill Fair / High Schools
Proposed Revenue: $20,000
Proposed Expenditures: $20,000
MOTION: to approve 19-Blue Hill Fair / High Schools revenues in the amount of $20,000. (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: to approve 19-Blue Hill Fair - High Schools expenditures in the amount of $20,000.00 (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
21 - OUI Grant & Private Contracts
Proposed Revenue: $30,000
Proposed Expenditures: $30,000
MOTION: to approve 21-OUI Grant & Private Contracts revenues in the amount of $30,000.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: to approve 21-OUI Grant & Private Contracts expenditures in the amount of $30,000.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: to approve 30 Reserves expenditures in the amount of $10,000.00 (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
- 70-400 decreased to $0.00
- 70-405 decreased to $0.00
- Commissioner Brown expects funding 30-700 through undesignated funds.
45 - UAD/DARE Grant Program
Proposed Revenue: $26,500
Proposed Expenditures: $26,500
MOTION: to approve 45-UAD / DARE Grant Program revenues in the amount of $32,500.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- Increased to $32,500.00 due to receiving $6,000 for HEAPP.
- Commissioner Blasi asked for clarification of what the acronyms stood for.
MOTION: to approve 45-UAD/DARE Grant Program expenditures in the amount of $32,500.00. (Joy/Brown 2-0-1, motion passed) Blasi abstained.
- 01-148 increased to $5,600
- 05-514 increased to $400
60 Unorganized Territory
MOTION: to approve 60 Unorganized Territory revenues in the amount of $32,578.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: to approve 60 Unorganized Territory expenditures in the amount to $375,597.00. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)
- The expenditures include $150,000.00 for road projects.
- We will be requesting the BAC to approve a one year exception to the cap.
- Commissioner Joy has requested that UT Supervisor Millard Billings be present when his budget is discussed with the BAC.
- Commissioner Blasi stated his dissatisfaction with the Cherryfield waste contract. He asked that UT supervisor continue working on this. We currently have a one year contract.
MOTION: to approve tax assessment $320,579 and to exceed the cap for one year. (Blasi/Joy 3-0, motion passed)
- Commissioner Blasi asked where the funds for Ortho Imagery would come from. Commissioner Brown stated it will come from Community Benefit funds and it does not go in front of the BAC.
MOTION: to approve $200,000.00 of 2013 undesignated funds toward the 2014 budget. (Joy/Brown 2-0-1, motion passed) Blasi abstained.
- Commissioner Blasi requested $150,000.00
MOTION: to allow the CFO to make clerical changes in the budget and notifying the commissioners of those changes. (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
MOTION: move to approve 2014 expenditures in the amount of $7,125,586 and revenues $1,792,448.00 with $5,333,139.00 to be raised by taxation. (Joy/Brown 3-0, motion passed)
A member of the public, Hendrik Gideonse of Brooklyn, asked the commissioners to take the steps necessary in the regular meetings to allow public comments. Commissioner Brown stated to him that if he would like to discuss things to contact the Clerk to be placed on the agenda.
Adjustment to the agenda:
MOTION: to add an agenda item to go into executive session under MRSA 1 §405 (6)(A) to discuss a personnel issue. (Joy/brown 2-1, motion passed) Blasi opposed
MOTION: move to go into executive session under MRSA 1 §405 (6)(A) to discuss a personnel matter. (Joy/Brown 2-1, motion passed) Blasi opposed.
Commissioner Brown came out of executive session at 1:22 p.m. with nothing to report.
MOTION to adjourn. (Joy/Blasi 3-0, motion passed)