Dear Unorganized Territory Landowner:
On behalf of the Hancock County Commissioners, I am writing this letter as a courtesy to landowners in the Hancock County Unorganized Territories that have structures on their properties. I have used the Maine Revenue Services 2013 Valuation Book as a reference to determine which properties had structures and the owners and their addresses. If you have received this letter in error please disregard.
|Print full letter|
Title 30-A of the Maine Revised Statutes section 7501, states as follows:
The county commissioners of each county may provide or contract for the provision of the following municipal services for the residents of the unorganized territory in their county:
1. Fire protection. Fire protection other than forest fires; In the event of a forest fire, Maine Forest Service is the responding agency. The County currently has agreements for structure fire coverage with the following agencies for the corresponding Townships and is in the negotiation process for additional coverage;
Burlington - T3ND, Oqiton, T40MD West Lake-Nicatous Club & T41ND north of Gassabias Stream.
Cherryfield – T10SD
Ellsworth – Fletcher’s Landing Township
Sullivan- Tunk Lake Road
2. Solid Waste. The County currently has agreements for solid waste services with the following agencies for the corresponding Townships and is in the negotiation process for additional coverage;
Burlington/Lowell at the Transfer Station – T3ND
Franklin at the Transfer Station – T9SD & T10SD
Deer Isle at the Transfer Station – Eagle Island
Cherryfield at the Transfer Station – T10 SD
Sullivan at the Transfer Station - T7SD
Steuben – T7SD US Route 1, Village Road, Bogus Meadow Road & Deer Hill Road, curbside
Ellsworth – Fletcher’s Landing Township curbside
Ellsworth at the Transfer Station – T10 SD, T22 MD, T28 MD, T32 MD, T34 MD
3. Roads and Bridges. The MDOT maintains the following state highways in the unorganized territory; T7 SD US Route 1; T9 SD State Route 182, T10 SD State Route 182, T22 MD State Route 9 & T28 MD State Route 9. The Following Highways are maintained in the summer by MDOT and in the winter snow removal and sanding is provided by Hancock County; in Fletcher’s Landing Township Route 179 and in T22 MD Route 193. The following roads are maintained by Hancock County for summer use only; T22 MD Old Route 9, T28 MD Old Route 9 & Back Road from Lower Lead Mountain Pond Road easterly to Route 9 and T32 MD Myra Road. The following roads are maintained by Hancock County both summer and winter as follows: T3 ND Nicatous Road from Penobscot County Line to Nicatous Lake Outlet, T7 SD Gouldsboro Point Road & Village Road from US Route 1 to respective Town Lines and Bogus Meadow Road from Steuben Town Line to Richardson House, T9 SD Martin’s Ridge Road from Route 182 to Town Line, and T28 MD Back Road from Lower Lead Mountain Pond Road westerly to Route 182. All other roads in the unorganized territory are private roads and may or may not be open for public use. A road with an E 9-1-1 road sign may not be passable all the way through or even open to the public, the road sign is only for emergency services to designate that there are two or more structures on that road.
4. Polling Places. Polling Places are provided in the unorganized territory for Townships that have resident registered voters as follows:
Eagle Island Township at Deer Isle,
T7 SD at either Gouldsboro or Steuben,
Fletcher’s Landing Township at either Ellsworth or Waltham,
T9 SD at Franklin,
T10 SD at either Franklin,
Cherryfield or Milbridge,
T22 MD at Beddington, T28 MD at Aurora, T32 MD at Great Pond and T3 ND at Burlington.
5. Administrative Services are provided at the Hancock County Commissioners Office 50 State Street, Suite #7, Ellsworth, Maine 04605.
5- A. Watershed Districts, there are multiple watersheds in the Hancock County Unorganized Territory, further information is available at the Hancock County Planning Commission.
6. Other Services are provided at the Hancock County Commissioners Office 50 State Street, Suite #7, Ellsworth, Maine 04605. Ambulance service is offered on a pay as you use basis by County Ambulance for T7SD, Fletcher’s Landing Township, T9 SD, T10 SD and T16 MD.
7. Law Enforcement, services are provided by Hancock County Sheriff’s Office or Maine State Police.
8. Enhanced 9-1-1 Service, is provided by Hancock County Regional Communications Center.
9. Animal Control, are provided at the Hancock County Commissioners Office 50 State Street, Suite #7, Ellsworth, Maine 04605.
The County does not wish to impose on private property owners, the purpose of this letter is to make the land owners aware of the available services and ask residents if they have made emergency plans;
- Where to call for fire control, medical assistance, evacuation or police emergencies?
- Is there a site in your area where a life flight helicopter could possibly land?
- Do you have fire suppression equipment at your location?
The County has no fire or ambulance equipment of its own. The County is not prying into or attempting to dictate private affairs, but only trying to plan ahead in case of an emergency.
Thank you in advance for your time and cooperation with the County’s efforts to provide public service.
Unorganized Territory Supervisor